Downtown Houston, TX, $85-95K
Well-established non-profit organization located in downtown Houston in search of a Controller. This position is responsible for the organization's accounting operations, ensuring the accuracy, effectiveness, and productivity of accounts payable, invoicing/billing/customer records, accounts receivable, payroll receivables/liabilities, inventory/fixed asset records, general ledger accounting and cost accounting.
Responsibilities will include:
- Manage data within Financial Edge and develop reporting to disseminate information to management.
- Maintain and update chart of accounts, project codes, reports/VCOs
- Manage cash flow and lines of credit to minimize interest expense while staying current with payments to vendors.
- Oversee the accounting operations of subsidiary corporations, control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures.
- Prepare/review investment entries and unitization reports for the organization's endowment.
- Issue timely, complete and accurate quarterly and annual financial statements.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, working with external auditors and assessing/implementing changes as necessary.
- Prepare and deliver appropriate reports to the Audit Committee as directed.
- Manage deferred compensation investment accounts and coordinate contractual distributions.
- Maintain compliance with local, state and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
- Prepare annual 990 tax returns and supporting schedules.
- Review/comply with all FASB and GAAP regulations, including appropriate recording of restricted funds/contributions.
- Establish and maintain a documented system of financial policies and procedures for the organization.
- Supervise Senior Accountant and Accounts Payable Administrator, assessing and developing their skill sets.
- Work with other departments as necessary to facilitate a smooth and continuous flow of information.
- Accounting or Finance degree.
- 6 years’ experience in a senior level accounting position required with a minimum of two years of supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, financial regulations required.
- Non-profit experience required. Managing high volume of private contributions strongly preferred.
- Advanced Excel skills, including pivot tables and vlookups; working knowledge of Financial Edge a plus.